Sunday, July 31, 2011

♦ America's Cup Uncovered

Eat your hearts out, sailing enthusiasts. There are going to be 90 of these:


Wait ... What?

There are going to eighty-nine MORE of these???

Woof. Where is the hype?!

Okay, okay, okayyyyyyy. I know a lot of you are going to hate me for not being ecstatic about this video. But, come on. I know people who can make more interesting shows using stuff they found in a 7-11 parking lot. Not to mention, my generation is all about extreme sports and challenges, and we want that same energy to come through in our media; the AC is really going to have to step its game up if it wants to compete for our attention.

I'll give them this: a lot of the visuals in this video are quite unparalleled. But, the show is still pretty "meh" for me. It's missing something ... or maybe it has too much something ...

And is that Randall from the Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger video doing the narrating?

Okay, I'm projecting a little. It wasn't all that bad. But, it wasn't all that great either, and this stuff NEEDS to be tops in order to get the non-sailing community interested. Shouldn't that be a priority?

Anyways, here is some quick commentary on my favorite parts (in pictures!):




I fucking love helicopters. I had to include this shot. 



I always secretly laugh at the little people clinging to the tramp when I see a catamaran capsize. And then I hope that they're okay.


Another shot I loved because I'm REALLY into spy movies. These shots of San Fran definitely had that edgy feel to them.







America! Fuck yeah.

Can't really make jokes here. This was a pretty cool rendering of the AC-72.

Hey Paul! You should check out San Francisco based Paul Oliva's column here. (Paul has informed me that the above rendering of the AC72 shows the seabreeze coming from the wrong direction. Woops!)


More capsize footage. It never gets old. They did a cool thing here by integrating actual news coverage into the show. The last time I saw sailing on the news was when the whole Abby Sunderland thing happened. Er, didn't happen, I should say.


America's Cup history. Lots of math. Before I watched the episode, I expected there to be more history/foundation than anything. I hope they go more in-depth in one of the upcoming 89 episodes.


Guy says "epic". I hate that word. I really had no idea that the next America's Cup is going to be a really long poem





Cool mock-up of the AC village in San Fran.


I can totally do that. In heels.


Jimmy eats a sandwich.







Jimmy drives a Camry.








Jimmy eats another sandwich.








4-minute spotlight on Sweden and the Challenger-of-Record. PSYCHE! It's a 4-minute spotlight on New Zealand. I'm a little confused.






Random Kiwi talks shit about Jimmy.






Teaser on the next episode about Sweden and the Challenger-of-Record. PSYCHE! It's a teaser about an episode about China and Korea. I'm a little confused.





Okay, so I'm clearly no expert. I liked the video, and I'm happy to share it. But I can't promise that any of my friends are going to be interested, or happy that I'm shoving yet another sailing video down their throats. (I'm totally going to, anyways.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your view. Not necessary for me to look at it anyway and your words just confirmed it. 89 more pieces of appetizers? Are you joking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I actually watched it today, and I have to agree with you on all counts. Its by far better than any other mainstream sailing documentary Ive seen, but it still doesnt hold a candle to all the other extreme sport videos Ive seen. For instance, why cant sailing movies be as awesome as the climbing or surfing movies?? I cant do either of those things but I find documentaries awesome. If sailing could just produce some Fuse TV worthy stuff (and I think we can all agree that Fuse TV is the best thing thats happened to bars on weeknights)then maybe we can actually get somewhere.

    ReplyDelete