Sunday, July 24, 2011

♫ A Little Tribute to Magnus

Ever since Magnus Wheatley left the internet scene, I’ve really been missing the witty commentary and punditry he offered the sailing community with his Rule 69 Blog. I always saw a little of my same style in his writing, and I truly enjoyed his work. I have always gravitated to sarcasm and wit over dry journalism, and Magnus’ blog was one of the only sailing websites that supplied that kind of candid “reporting”.

But now:






What a cheerless little statement.

So anyways, here’s my ode to Magnus. Hold on … I don’t even know what an ode really is. If it’s a poem, we’re all screwed. How about a haiku?:

I don’t know any
Thing going on in sailing
Without you, Magnus.

Um … maybe that works. It’s not a correct statement, but the syllable count is absolutely precise. I think that’s the only thing that counts in a haiku.

Look, I’m not saying the guy is the god of all things quip, but his stuff was funny. There were a couple of times when I wholly disagreed with him on a subject, but his writing was forthright and free-flowing, which is more than I can say for a lot of the journalism going on in the rest of the sailing world.

I don’t know if I can provide commentary at the level of Magnus Wheatley, but I will do my best to just tell it like I see it when it comes to racing. And I promise to throw in some crazy stories, too.

So in all seriousness, welcome to my blog. I'm a bit of a joke but I’m slowly making progress, and this has been a long time coming. (So I’ve been told.)

Much love,
Katie Burns
(PS - I really hope things are going well for you and yours, Magnus. Best wishes.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Just scrolling through old blogs as I had given up blogging many years ago ike I think you did as well. Now Magnus is back on the scene and I do hope that you are reading his new blog. Always positive, different to what he used to be. I would say he matured in a good way.
    Hope you read this one day and hope you are well and stay healthy in these difficult times.
    Smooth sailing
    Manfred
    Sailracing.blogspot.com
    Manfred.schreiber@mac.com

    ReplyDelete